There is nothing wrong with your efforts to save money when you are traveling. You already spent a lot on airfares and hotel accommodation. You need to find ways to reduce your expenses elsewhere. If you decide that cutting back on your food expenses would be the best idea, you need to pursue it. Create a realistic plan so that you do not overspend on the trip.
It does not mean though that you cannot enjoy the best meals available in the place that you are going to visit. You could still enjoy quality restaurants and the sumptuous meals they offer. For instance, if you are heading to New York, it would be great if you at least try eating in Kosher restaurants in NYC.
- You need to know the options before you visit the country. It helps if you know which restaurants offer the best meals so that even if you only eat out once, it would be worth it. You can even book your seats before flying there to ensure that you will not miss the chance. You will regret it if you get there, and you could not push through with your plan.
- Try the best local dishes. Since you might not return to that country after the trip, you need to maximize the chance to eat local dishes. Look for restaurants offering meals that are not available outside that area. You can go home and say that you tasted the best that the city could offer.
- Read reviews. If you do not know where to eat, you can read reviews. Do not stick with reviews made by tourists like you since they might not have enough time to research their choices before going there. Therefore, they might praise a restaurant which is not necessarily the best. Look for reviews made by locals since they have had the chance to compare various options. If they tell you that a restaurant is great, it most likely is.
- Do it once only. Even if you are traveling for a week, you need to eat out once. In doing so, you will guarantee that you have the best restaurant. You will not mind splurging there since you are not eating out elsewhere. For the other days, you can buy affordable street food. You might also book an apartment instead of a hotel since it allows you to cook. Most apartments have a kitchen with complete cooking supplies.
- Ask around. If you did not have time to research, you could ask around. It is an excellent way to interact with the locals. Ask them which restaurants they would recommend for fine dining. The locals will most likely point you to a place that they could be proud of. Heeding the locals’ advice is not a bad idea.
Now that you know how to find the right restaurant, you are ready for the trip. You will go home feeling satisfied because you had an excellent meal.