A catastrophe or severe injury can have a huge impact on someone’s life, and it can negatively affect the quality of life he lives. A catastrophic injury is one where a life-changing injury has happened and it has not just affected the life of the person but also the lives of those around him.
When a catastrophic injury occurs, it can present unique challenges for the legal representation, especially where it concerns proving the present and future impact of the life of the claimant. When it is the catastrophic nature of the case, it can increase the amount of compensation in a personal injury case. That is why it is crucial that the best Las Vegas catastrophic injury lawyer gets hired when it comes to personal injury cases of such a nature.
What A Catastrophic Injury Is
There is no common denomination for catastrophic injuries at all, and it depends on the particular case. However, there are some commonly occurring features that can be termed as ‘catastrophic’:
- Spinal cord injuries that have resulted in partial or total paralysis for the claimant
- Severe head injuries or traumatic head injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Severe spinal injuries
- Injuries that have resulted in loss of limb
- Injuries that have resulted in a significant amount of scarring or disfigurement
- Long-term or even permanent case of disability for the claimant
The ‘Severe Harm’ Aspect Of Personal Injury Cases
Catastrophic injuries in personal injury cases do not just mean physical injury. It can be a relative case of personal harm where the effect has been the personal life of the claimant.
- If a professional skier undergoes an injury where he loses action of both his limbs, and he can never get back to his career, then it can be called ‘’catastrophic’’.
- Similarly, if a single mother of 4 undergoes a head injury that prevents her from working for the rest of her life or renders her in a form where she is unable to take care of her kids, then it can be regarded as catastrophic.
Value Of The Case
Though catastrophic injuries fall within the purview of personal injury cases, they are still regarded as much more severe than other types of cases. The value of any case depends on the level of injuries that the claimant has endured and the same is the case with catastrophic injuries cases.
The value of catastrophic cases is high for the simple reason that the injuries may be just the tip of the iceberg and the claimant may require a lifetime of medical attention to recover. It is extremely important for a catastrophic injuries attorney to understand the need of specific medical treatment for a claimant to truly aid the case.
If you or someone you are close to has suffered from a life-changing catastrophic injury, getting an attorney that has trained and worked in the particular area is not just good, it is a necessity.